Friday 25 October 2013

Photographing London

Although my time in London so far has been crazy hectic, which means that at the end of most days I just crumble into the sofa at the end of the day instead of really getting the most out of the London experience, I have managed to take a bit of time merely to walk around and take some pictures! It feels odd now, because I feel like I am verging on tourist territory when I feel just about settled to call myself a Londoner. I guess standing alongside PDA-ing tourist couples is necessary, however, if I am to truly capture my time here.

Interestingly, I have taken many photos of London before with my art group, always wanting them to be perfectly composed and in perfect focus. As I look back at the photos I have taken over the last few weeks, I realise that the majority are blurry: in part to avoid having to stand alongside those PDA-ing couples and taking photos as I walk, but mostly because London really is a blurry city. It moves so quickly that you barely have a chance to catch a breath, and people come and go as quickly as I can whack out a good soup onto the table at Departure (ie. with great speed!). Getting a good photo of London, it seems, always means some annoying tourist sticking their hand in the way, or a commuter walking speedily past. Truly representing London is actually having imperfect photographs, because no one who lives in London much cares for tourists (I bombarge into many a tourist photo a day simply because if I stopped for everybody taking a picture of themselves on Tower Bridge as I walked past it would take twice as long to get to work), or indeed, for eachother, because who can trust a stranger?

Make of these what you will:







Hope you like this tiny selection of the blurriest, but perhaps most interesting, shots of the London Bridge area that I have!

-Antonia

4 comments:

  1. I really like the last one!! Also, the sky is so clear in all of them, in comparison Manchester is so so grey at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I happened to be walking by at sunset! The sky is getting noticeably greyer, though, and we are meant tonnage record game force winds on Sunday, hurrah!

      Delete
    2. Luckily I happened to be walking by at sunset! The sky is getting noticeably greyer, though, and we are meant tonnage record game force winds on Sunday, hurrah!

      Delete
  2. I would also like to add that, aside from the first one which I cropped and brightened, none of these were edited!

    ReplyDelete